Together We Make a Difference
Transitional Solutions Inc. is a team of seasoned, trustworthy, multi-disciplinary specialists. We are professional, pro-active and refreshingly straightforward. We embrace a comprehensive approach to transition, through a rigorous yet easy-to-understand and completely transparent process with one objective: to assist your organization in its time of transformation.
Strength in Unity
Our professionals have demonstrated competency in an enormous variety of disciplines. TSI has over 350 years of combined public and private sector experience. Yes, you read correctly. Our team members collectively possess decades of extensive knowledge and experience in municipal governance, regional collaboration, organizational development, emergency management, and so much more. We are adept in domains that span across all sectors, including private, public and not-for-profit.
Erica Thomas, MBA, Ec.D
A passionate professional who has a wealth of both public and private engagement, leadership and social sustainability planning experience. Coupled with an BComm in Communications and Marketing, an MBA in Global Energy Management and Sustainable Development and an Economic Developers Certificate, Erica’s ability to take a project through to an innovative and successful completion makes her a great asset to the TSI Team.
PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Consultation and engagement with stakeholders surrounding three major oil and gas developments in Alberta. These stakeholders include First Nations, landowners, local, provincial and federal government officials and administration and non-governmental organizations.
- Development and maintenance of the comprehensive stakeholder matrix for each project.
- Engagement with the Aboriginal business community of the three main First Nations; Fort McKay First Nation, Mikisew Cree First Nation and Athasbasca Chipewyan First Nation. This includes negotiations of long term business agreements.
- Collaboration with Communications on the development and implementation of communications strategies including the incorporation of social media and partnership communications.
- Development of an analytic tool to measure and trend stakeholders’ attitudes and issues.
- Work collaboratively with Corporate Communications in the development of external communications including newsletters, brochures, social media and information packages for stakeholders.
MUNICIPAL / ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PROJECT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Develop Strathcona County’s Economic Development and Tourism annual marketing plan, including a detailed work plan with measurement tools for current marketing strategies.
- Provide assistance to companies through consultation and follow-up to address their issues and development needs.
- Work with local entrepreneurs in the development of business plans, budgets and marketing strategies.
- Develop and maintain project budgets utilizing other sources of funding, inclusive of Tourism Destination Region funding, Community Futures Funding and proposals to the Rural Alberta Development Fund.
- Work with local companies to assess and develop a plan to alleviate individual labour shortages and community labour shortages. This encompassed a direct relationship with the Director of Employment, Industry and Immigration from the Alberta Government.
Cory Thomas, B.Ed
Cory is a key resource to many of the TSI project teams. With a background in risk management and statistical analysis, Cory brings an in-depth and detailed look at the projects, supporting the subject matter experts in their overall review and project strategies. Cory’s background coupled with his education in Finance and his Bachelor of Education allows him to see a project, understand it’s complexities and take it through to a successful completion taking into consideration the client’s best interest.
- Small and large group facilitation including; strategic planning, business planning, SWOT assessments, stakeholder consultation, etc.
- Risk assessments and analysis,
- Process optimization and reviews,
- Municipal inspections,
- Operational procedures and reviews.
- Support on the Lougheed Municipal Inspection through stakeholder interviews, development and analysis of the surveys and compilation of the report.
- Support and financial analysis for the Cypress County Fire Master Plan development.
- Lead on the bylaw and policy review for the Westlock Regional Collaboration project.
- Lead trainer on social media engagement and community risk management.
- Developed and implemented analytical tools for risk identification for CMB Insurance Brokers.
- Provided webinars and in-person training seminars for Opta International.
Kevin M. Robins
Kevin is a senior Executive who has translated leadership into corporate values culminating into Employers of Choice. From years of Emergency Management Experience on the Front lines through to the leadership in corporate offices, the concepts of fluid planning and operational sustainability are the forefront of success.
MUNICIPAL/INDUSTRY PROJECT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- 24 years City of Leduc – 12 as CAO and 12 as Fire Chief
- Member, Ministers Transition Team for Amalgamation of School Boards, 1994-1995
- Interim CAO Morinville, Sept 2006—Thru July 2007 and June 2008 Thru Aug 2008
- Interim CAO Beaumont Sept 2007 Thru Feb 2008
- CEO Transitional Solutions Inc- 2006
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Highway 63 Region Emergency Response Study for the Office of the Alberta Fire Commissioner.
- Fire Chief – City of Leduc 12 years
- Alberta fire Commissioner’s Office 1977-1981
- Instructor Alberta Fire training School 1979-1981
- Member CAMA, ICMA, and International Association of Fire Chiefs
- Past Vice President, Alberta Chapter, International Association of Arson Investigators
- Past member Board of Directors, Alberta Fire Chiefs Assoc.
- School Trustee, City of Leduc School Board, 1990-1995
- Awarded the Lieutenant Governor’s Exemplary Service Medal
Associate Corporate Project References available through Transitional Solutions
Ron has over thirty-six years of experience in Alberta and municipal government as a highly respected senior leader. His high level of service to various associations and local volunteerism has earned Ron:
Ron has practiced valuations skills and gained local government experience in the counties of Sturgeon, Thorhild, Minburn and Westlock, and in towns and villages north of Edmonton, where he assisted or held appointments through a number assessment years. These experiences provided the background he needed to deal with the massive change in legislation that occurred in Alberta from 1994 to 2000. These changes included the movement from a regulated assessment regime to a market-based environment.
Ron was appointed Alberta Representative for the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) in fall 2002, appointed Executive Administrator of the Inter-provincial Professional Assessors' of Canada 2001, and served as President of the Alberta Assessors' Association in 2000-2001. Ron received his Project Management Certificate from the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in 2002.
From 1996 to 2006 he was Manager of Assessment and Tax Legislation instead of experiencing the wrath of ratepayers while he was assessing residential, farm, commercial and industrial properties from 1978 to 1994.
From 2006 -2011 he was the Director of Legislative Projects for the same department, Alberta Municipal Affairs
In 2006 in set out in pursuit of how the municipalities use the Municipal Government Act in their daily business. He was blessed to be given time by Municipal Affairs to serve one-year secondment as Assistant Chief Administrative Officer for the Town of Morinville. He returned to Municipal Affairs to serve as Director of Legislative Projects for Municipal Affairs.
Ron has worked for Municipal Affairs in the area of policy development and legislation for over 24 years. He served as director of Legislative Projects and then Research for seven years prior to joining the Office of the Fire Commissioner in 2012. He retired April 2015 from his position as Assistant Fire Commissioner and Director of Critical Projects. This request to serve was as a result of the fact Ron had been involved in Firefighting since 1976 serving in various positions with the Morinville Fire Department, recently retiring after 12 years as Part Time Fire Chief dealing with the budgets, CAO’s and politicians. As a Safety Codes Officer in the Fire Discipline he brings working knowledge of what it takes to maintain the Safety Code Designation. This is still a passion as he continues to serve the Morinville Fire Department as their Fire Investigation Officer.
Larry E. Kirkpatrick, MBA
Forty years of combined public and private sector experience complemented with senior executive positions have moulded and matured a leadership style characterized by integrity and success. Larry is both comfortable and prepared to deal with the complex issues and decisions in today’s culture and business climate.
Larry’s awareness and appreciation for having a public and private orientation is indoctrinated in his philosophy “know who your constituents are”. He subscribes to the theory that if your constituents are not satisfied, you will not be satisfied, nor will those to whom you report. Larry is keenly aware of the scrutiny of our actions and activities and relies upon his intuition and business acumen in his decision-making processes.
- 2010-2015, Vice President of Corporate Services at Opus Stewart Weir. Responsible for Human Resources, Health & Saftey, Corporate Communications, Corporate Technical Development, Facilites and Quality Management System.
- 1998 – 2008, County Commissioner (Chief Administrative Officer) for Sturgeon County. All legislated duties of CAO as per the MGA. Director of Disaster Services as well as the chief policy writer. Chief negotiator for major initiatives with industrial rate payers.
- 1986 – 1998, Assistant County Administrator, Sturgeon County. Directed all statuatory and legislative requirements. Administrative support to Subdivision/Development Appeal Board. Oversaw all activities in relation to Emergency Services. Coordinated and directed all administrative and human resource functions.
- Introduced a salary and benefits program (Flex Points) that enabled Opus Stewart Weir (OSW) to enhance its recruitment and retention efforts and give the organization a competitive advantage.
- Recognized by the Government of Alberta for outstanding community service with a “Alberta Centennial Medal” in 2006.
- Recipient of the Society of Local Government Managers “Award of Excellence in 2003.
- Received peer support by being elected to various Regional, Provincial and National Board of Directors, holding a variety of positions including President and Treasurer.
Jen McEwen, MBA
Jen is known for her positivity, enthusiasm and commitment to getting the job done. Jen is client-centered and people focused. As a visionary, she focuses on the end goal and has an ability to create buy-in around the table. Jen is particularly skilled in communications and often uses her strong verbal and written communication skills in her project work.
- Lead Consultant
- Life in the Heartland and Families First Society
- Project Lead
- Conducted a program review for Kids in the Hall, a social enterprise operating in Edmonton.
Communications and Engagement
- Consultant Support
- Provided project support for governance reviews and transformation projects.
- Developed an internal communications strategy for Community and Recreation Facilities Branch with the City of Edmonton
- Tour of Alberta, Fort Saskatchewan Leg; International Women’s Day; Stuff Youth Conference; assisted multiple departments at the City of Fort Saskatchewan with communications strategies and media relations.
- Implemented a new corporate brand for the City of Fort Saskatchewan; created a new internal brand for the City of Fort Saskatchewan; developed a brand for McEwen’s Aviation Services and Verhoeff Realty Services.
- 2014 Entrance Award - University of Alberta MBA Admissions Committee awarded to strong students entering the program based on GPA & experience
- 2013 Spirit Award Winner – City of Fort Saskatchewan
- 2013 Most Interactive Booth – City of Fort Saskatchewan Trade Show
- 2012 Best Community Float – City of Fort Saskatchewan Canada Day Parade
Sarah Geisler, BPE, MBA
A dedicated professional with a wealth of experience in the areas of engagement, leadership and strategic planning. Extensive training through the International Association for Public Participation (IAP2), including training for Engagement in Emotion and Outrage situations allows Sarah to help develop the working relationships needed for all parties to start a project off on the right foot, and to support ongoing project success. With an MBA from the University of Alberta, and 17 years of municipal experience, Sarah’s varied work history brings new perspective to the TSI team.
MUNICIPAL PROJECT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Developed Strathcona County’s Open Space and Recreation Facility Strategy 5-year update, including a detailed 10-year capital plan and recommendations for future strategic planning components.
- Developed Strathcona County’s Aquatic Strategy, including recommendations for $40 million in capital infrastructure, by way of the most extensive public engagement efforts ever undertaken by the County at that time
- Collaborated on the development of Strathcona County’s municipal Growth Strategy
- Developed an analytical rating tool for recommending municipal capital investment in community partnership projects
- Collaborated on the implementation of Priority Based Budgeting for Strathcona County Recreation Parks and Culture
- Developed 5-year capital budget recommendations for Strathcona County Recreation, Parks and Culture based on user demand, strategic research and analysis of public feedback
- Worked collaboratively with Municipal and Corporate Communications in the development of external communications including newsletters, brochures, social media and electronic information packages for stakeholders.
ENGAGEMENT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Coordinated engagement with 20 stakeholder groups and the general public to develop a sustainability strategy for community halls in primarily rural Strathcona County.
- Developed annual planning frameworks for municipal public engagement processes
- Developed detailed engagement plans for major capital infrastructure investment projects
- Developed highly effective online engagement tools to allow for better representation of community and user-group demographics in engagement results
- Development and rollout of engagement plans for highly politically charged and contentious capital infrastructure projects, achieving the goal of generating support for the project in the immediate neighbourhood and broader community
Trent R. West
Trent has over 25 years of Emergency Management and Public Safety experience and expertise in the Province of Alberta. Provincially as the Executive Director, Fire Commissioner and Acting Managing Director of the Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) and Municipally as Director of Emergency Management and Fire Chief of urban and rural municipalities throughout the province. This experience, supplemented with 12 years of emergency planning, safety operations and training in municipal risk planning for industry makes Trent an asset and resource on any project.
PROJECT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Advised and trained federal, provincial, territorial, first nations and municipal government officials, industry associations, municipalities and their fire departments, oil and gas plant employee’s regarding;
- planning, training, injury and loss prevention & protection, investigation, equipment & facilities acquisition and maintenance, codes & standards, policy & procedures, governance, risk assessment, liability protection, occupational health & safety requirements and ongoing emergency and non-emergency operations.
- As Incident Commander, Technical Advisor, Operations Section Chief;
- Conduct post incident analysis and critiques. These have included major floods, multiple vehicle, multiple casualty vehicle accidents, Hazmat / Dangerous Goods collisions, major structural and industrial fires in addition to multi-municipality / multi-jurisdictional wildland fires.
- As Director of Emergency Management at local states of emergency
- As Acting Managing Director of AEMA
- Strong planning and implementation skills displayed working with regional federal, provincial and municipal elected officials and staff since 1989 to improve regional and inter-agency response communications day to day and at large-scale emergency incidents.
- Member of Federal / Provincial / Territorial committees and working groups of Senior Officials Responsible for Emergency Management and national Co-Chair of Aboriginal Relations and Interoperability working groups as the Provincial/Territorial representative.
- President of the Council of Canadian Fire Marshalls and Fire Commissioners
- Chair of the Deputy Minister Cross-Ministry working group and author of the Highway 63 report and recommendations to Government.
- Recipient of the Deputy Ministers Recognition Award for Collaboration and Partnerships – Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Recipient of the Queens Exemplary Service Medal, Queens Diamond Jubilee (nominated by the Governor Generals Office) and the Alberta Emergency Services Medal
William Spence Sample
Spence has over 37 years of experience in the public sector and in Emergency Management and Public Safety. As the Alberta Fire Commissioner and Advisor to the Public Safety Division, Spence lead the provincial team responsible for reducing fire losses, injuries and deaths in Alberta. Furthermore, Spence oversaw the provision of support services directed at enabling and improving the fire and emergency services of all Alberta communities.
PROJECT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Negotiated and prepared a wide range of contracts and agreements for municipalities, their fire services and other departments including mutual aids, fee for service and cost sharing for recreational facilities.
- Advised municipalities on all areas of municipal risk management and presented risk reduction workshops throughout Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut on behalf of the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association and Willis Canada.
- Developed and delivered risk management workshops and presentations to Aboriginal communities throughout Alberta and assisted in the development of the Metis Settlements Fire Chiefs Association.
- Jointly responsible for creating a single Edmonton Emergency Response Department from the previously separate Fire and Emergency Medical Services departments. Amalgamation resulted in initial savings of $550,000, improved service quality and reduced emergency response time.
- Reporting directly to City Council, co-chaired the Edmonton Labour/Management Task Force on Service Delivery. In cooperation with Union representatives, achieved consensus report resulting in the adoption by the City of all recommendations, including the addition of four ambulance units.
- Initiated a training program to raise firefighter skills to the Emergency Medical Response (EMR) level. Resulted in improved service delivery and increased productivity of fire staff while simultaneously reducing workload of EMS staff.
- Built inter-agency partnerships (police, fire, and ambulance) to design, develop, and implement an 800mhz-radio trunking system and a $17M Computer Assisted Dispatch (CAD) system. Resulted in an improved emergency response initiation system, improved performance measurement systems and reduced human error.
- Prepared, presented, and managed budgets of up to $93M, frequently achieving under-budget targets.
- Supervised up to 12 managers; coached to maximize performance. Effectively managed difficult employee relations and resolved employee disputes/issues.
- Implemented public and key stakeholder consultation process aimed at creating user driven and designed fire service operational framework; identified gaps/conflicts in public safety laws and policy and recommended potential solutions.
- Established partnerships with significant public-sector organizations to increase public education and awareness of emergency response procedures such as CPR and fire safety.
A passionate professional who has a wealth of both social media engagement and information technology experience. Ross vast experience in the private sector brings a unique and fresh perspective to public service. In cooperation with the Transitional Solutions Team Ross can bring a tailor made solutions to our problem.
SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Managed the social media and online engagement campaigns for numerous municipal, provincial and federal political campaigns.
- Managed the social media engagement campaign for the Ferintosh and Edberg Shared Services Study.
- Managed the social media engagement campaign for the Barrhead Aquatics plebiscite.
- Managed the social media engagement campaign for the Strathmore FCSS Needs Assessment.
- Designed internal software plans for local Calgary engineering firms.
- Consulted and make recommendations for software purchase for Bridgegate Management.
- Developed web technology for many small to medium sized businesses both local and international.
- Developed software applications for internal and external use at Cyberwave Technologies.
- Develop and maintain software purchasing budgets for Energeo Technologies (Formationfinder.com)
- Design purchasing and vendor vetting check list for Filesdirect.com ranging from who will provide desktop computers to third party support services.
Richard (Rick) J. Samotej
Rick Samotej has over 35 years of Municipal, Provincial and Federal policing experience. Rick retired following a successful career with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police with his final position being the District Commander of Eastern Alberta District in “K” Division. In this position he oversaw the operations/administration of 30 offices and in excess of 400 employees.
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Commander of Emergency Response Team (SWAT), Tactical Team (Riot Squad) & VIP Security – RCMP Alberta
- Senior incident commander – RCMP Alberta Region
- Commanded provincial tactical unit for the world petroleum conference (Calgary).
- 911 response at the Edmonton International Airport
- Instructor Alberta Fire training School 1979-1981
- 5 years of experience in the Air Transportation field as general manager – operations and aviation security with the Gemstone Logistics moving at peak approximately forty five thousand passengers monthly to various points within Canada.
- Over 20 Years of management experience including budgeting, human resources etc.
- Experience in Business Planning within, Municipal, Provincial and Federal levels as well as the private sector.
- Years of experience in resolving delicate situations within the workplace as well as inter-municipal disputes.
- Experience in resolving delicate harassment issues as well as other internal issues by way of a formal or informal processes.
- Past member of the Alberta Association of Chiefs of Police ( 1998 to 2009).
- Past member of the A.A.C.P. Law Reform Committee.
- Past member of the Tactical Officers Association
- Past member of the City of Leduc Budget Committee (2000 to 2003).
- Past member of the City of Leduc Senior Executive Team for strategic direction. (1998 to 2003).
- Past member of the Alberta Slain Peace officers Committee ( Vice- President).
- Adjudicator for Dispute Resolutions for Promotions (RCMP).
- Board member for Discharge and Demotions, Canada Wide. (RCMP)
- Board member through out Canada for promotions into the Officer level.
Pat has over 35 years of experience from the municipal to international orders of government and with numerous Non-Governmental Organizations. He joined the Government of Alberta (GoA) in January of 2001 and held the positions of Director and Deputy Fire Commissioner, Director in the Alberta Emergency Management Agency and Project Manager for two projects. Prior to joining the GoA, Pat had a successful military career in senior management and operational leadership roles, including large-scale training development and implementation assignments and emergency management responsibilities in the most extreme circumstances. His combined education, training and experience make Pat a talented, multi-disciplinary asset to any project.
PROJECT AND WORK EXPERIENCE HIGHLIGHTS
As Director and Deputy Fire Commissioner ensured that Alberta’s fire training accreditation standing was maintained and that the Fire Commissioner’s Office supported municipalities:
- Lead an extensive review of all 29 of Alberta’s NFPA standards, amending training protocols and examination material as required. An IFSAC audit team member commented that he had never seen such impressive work in any previous audit;
- Ensured compliance with IFSAC and Pro Board standards changes;
- Ensured tens of thousands of examinations were administered securely and on time;
- Co-developed the Alberta Fire Service Training Task Force, and;
- Developed the first-ever Alberta accreditation and certification protocols manual.
As Director and Senior Operations Officer for emergency response and recovery:
- Provided vision and leadership to ensure the Provincial Operations Centre (POC) was properly staffed with well trained, cross-government partners, able to operate 24/7;
- Supervised the development of several provincial-level emergency operations plans;
- Assumed Incident Commander responsibilities in the POC for incidents such as the Slave Lake fires in 2011, floods, train derailments, the BSE event of 2003 etc., and;
- Developed the technology and facility requirements for new a GoA POC in 2002.
As Project Manager:
- Commenced the Municipal Affairs’ Public Safety Division Functional Review, advising on Divisional mandate, staffing and structure, and;
- Developed a highly detailed RFP for a new administrator of the provincial disaster recovery program, which at the time had administered $500 million in assistance.
- Wrote numerous training plans and exercises, ranging from individual to collective training for up to 22,000 multi-disciplinary participants;
- Wrote numerous operational deployment plans for small teams to Division strength formations (22,000 multi-discipline personnel).
- Contributed to the development of various policies, protocols and procedures;
- Recipient of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Canadian Decoration, Alberta Emergency Services, Canadian Peacekeeping and other medals;
- Awarded United Nations Military Observers Force Commander’s Commendation for courage, initiative and composure under fire and the Canadian Army Commander’s Commendation for exceptional service during the Pine Lake tornado;
- Delivered numerous briefings to heads of state, ministers and senior officials.
Eduardo Padilla C., MBA
Eduardo is a professional focused on details and an executer, a great idea developer key for the TSI team. His background in both design and marketing brings a great addition to project development, internal and external communication and creation of new designs and marketing strategies. Eduardo´s experience in both education and the private sector with an international view brings a new, fresh aspect to TSI.
- Marketing strategies development.
- Corporate and community image design.
- Publicity campaigns coordination and design.
- Develop marketing strategies to assure client’s loyalty on corporate brand events.
- Editorial design, visual software design, product and packaging design.
- Managed and coordinated the creation of a new corporate and community image design and rebranding for several companies.
- Photographer, art designer and developer of different editorial design projects such as catalogues, magazines, presentations, documents and much more.
- Managed and coordinated events, trade shows, exhibits, product launches, golf tournaments and other marketing events for several companies in the private sector.
- Developed and supervised case studies, marketing funds, sponsorship on events, marketing campaigns and sales strategies outcomes.
- Developed visual software design for a few companies focusing on their branding.
- Benchmarking, social media, blogs and web seminar supervision.
Larry's diverse and accomplished career transitioned from Outdoor Recreation and Community Development (21 years) to Economic Development (19 years) setting the stage for a unique perspective on sustainable development through first had experiences. The span of his professional and volunteer career has grounded him in the many key competencies necessary for success. Having successfully operated Alberta's Industrial Heartland Association and the River Valley Alliance demonstrates competencies in the governance and management of collaborative municipal initiatives. Project management, fundraising, stakeholder engagement, marketing and communications are all areas in which not only excellence has been achieved, but it has been acknowledged through multiple awards of recognition and accomplishment.
- Innovative, creative executive/senior manager experienced in leading government, corporate, community and small business interdisciplinary departments/teams, with an ability to formulate and execute strategy, business/ operations plans, budgeting, performance measurement, and effectively manage issues.
- Extensive sustainable development experience and perspectives combining concepts of eco-industrial development (industrial ecology), outdoor recreation programming, environmental education, park development, community development and business planning and economics.
- Strong economic development management and leadership abilities applied in a major metropolitan area working with; Economic Development Authorities, Municipal Planning, Engineering and Development Approvals, Greater Edmonton Growth Team, Alberta Capital Region Alliance, Alberta Energy, Alberta Municipal Affairs, Alberta Environment and Alberta Enterprise.
- Accomplished in not-for-profit and small business management involving creation, start-up, board development and governance, stakeholder buy-in, business planning, marketing, and financial management.
- Insightful approaches public engagement and consultation achieve positive outcomes covering the scope from public input to shape community and corporate strategy to stakeholder issue resolution.
- Skilled executive/senior manager in developing strategic relationships with business and major industry focused on retention, expansion and investment attraction challenges, opportunities and initiatives. i.e. Petro-Canada/Suncor, Total Shell, BA Energy, Synenco, Northwest Upgrading, Dow Chemicals, Agrium, CN, CP, Enbridge, Kinder Morgan, TransCanada, ERCB, CCPA, CAPP, AEDA.
- Dedicated continuous learner, with post graduate education including; Project Management - Tools and Techniques from U of A Faculty of Extension, Risk Communications and Public Dialogue from the Centre for Risk Management, a Professional Certificate from the Economic Development Institute of the University of Oklahoma; courses from the Canadian Energy Research Institute on Canadian Oil Sands and Heavy Oil Industries and Petrochemicals; Upgrading Refining and Petrochemicals Seminar from T.J. McCann and Associates.
An experienced and enthusiastic Community Relations Advisor with 14 years of success building relationships with stakeholders in the public and private sector. June’s diverse work history began in the public sector with the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health Services as a political advisor and in government relations then continued into the private sector in the Oil and Gas industry, specializing in regulatory and stakeholder affairs, particularly with First Nations. June’s ability to facilitate meaningful consultation as well as advancing relationships and partnership opportunities through well-developed political awareness and cultural sensitivity brings a new dynamic to the TSI team.
PUBLIC CONSULTATION EXPERIENCE
- Championed the City of St. Albert’s public consultation process to gather input on the community’s perspectives on public engagement, which resulted in recommendations for the Public Engagement Policy and the Public Engagement Management Plan
- Reviewed the public consultation results and summary and provided input on key principles, outcomes and directions for consideration in the review of the draft Council Policy
- Provided written advice to Council on the proposed Public Engagement Policy based on the public consultation findings
- Developed and delivered presentations on oil sands plans and activities to facilitate meaningful consultation and sharing
- Completed 40 successful First Nation Consultation regulatory submissions from assessment to achieving adequacy including some more challenging applications with larger environmental footprints. Resulted in no objections from the First Nations therefore no delays for the project.
STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Played a lead role in building and sustaining industry, community, environmental and Aboriginal relations through knowledge transfer, issues management, consultation and negotiation.
- Established and maintained positive working relationships with key Aboriginal groups in support of two Oil Sands projects by participating and volunteering in various community events
- Coordinated with internal and external stakeholders to implement commitments and action plans arising from project, applications, MOU’s and discussions with stakeholders to ensure there are no objections and delays with projects.
- Counselled strategic advice relating to community and political stakeholder issues to internal departments as part of project planning processes.
- Developed and received departmental approval for the company’s Trapper Engagement Standard to enhance the company’s social licence to operate and maintain positive relationships with local Trappers.
Shawna Bruce, CD, BA, MA DEM
A personable communications professional with extensive experience in emergency management planning, crisis communications, leadership and community engagement. Shawna brings more than 25 years of military experience as a Public Affairs Officer in the Canadian Forces and eight years in the energy sector where she managed national communications and public outreach for a global company.
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT & CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS
- Developed community awareness programs to support emergency management
- Implementation of public notification system including policies and procedures for users and management of neighbour data gathering
- Coordination of Public Information Officer and media awareness training for Emergency Management Teams
- Development and delivery of PIO Awareness Course for mutual aid workshops
- Extensive experience managing highly complex crisis situations with regional, national and international media engagement
- Military spokesperson and lead for highly visible events including operations in Afghanistan, Forest Fires in BC, military accidents and fatalities
- Canadian lead for crisis communications including manufacturing and transportation issues for global company.
- Coordinated TRANSCAER training for Toronto Fire Service before Pan Am Games.
- Engagement experience with mutual aid organizations in Alberta and Ontario.
- Trained in ICS 100,200, 300 and Public Information Officer (AEMA)
- Champion of Responsible Care with the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada
- Developed and Instruct Disaster and Crisis Communications course for NAIT (Emergency Management Program)
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND OUTREACH
- Lead for Community Advisory Panels in various locations
- Development of Dow Chemical Canada’s national stakeholder outreach and community investment plan
- External relations lead with major Canadian organizations such as Habitat for Humanity where Gift in Kind donations increased from 100K to 1M
- Development of regional community and education grant initiatives
- Project lead for national STEM partnerships
PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND EXECUTIVE COMMUNICATIONS
- Development of Corporate Executive Outreach Plans
- Development of strategic public and government affairs plans
- Create employee engagement plans to profile company in operating communities
- Develop media outreach plans for large and small events
- Lead major business events for high profile guests and executive VIPs
- Develop and coordinate special events for employees and their families
- Brand Marketing and interface during major mergers and acquisitions
Count On Us
Please continue reading for detailed information on the vast capabilities and extensive experience of our diverse and specialized team at TSI.