Municipal Leadership & Emergency Management Expert
Bill is a senior Leader who has provided a commitment to excellence through ensuring all team members reach their hidden potential.
Years of Experience
Senior Executive Fellows Program – Directors Award
University of Alberta
Certified Local Government Management – CLGM
Certifications for NFPA 1001, 1002, 1003, 1021, 1031, 1041 and Hazmat Operations
Member of ICMA
Member of Society of Local Government Managers
PACE Board Member
Alberta Sexual Assault Services Board Member
Emergency Management Experience
- 40 years Emergency Management experience in the positions of Fire fighter, Lieutenant, Chief Fire Prevention Officer, Deputy Fire Chief, Fire Chief, Manager of Protective & Emergency Services, Protective Services Director & Community Safety Director.
- Created the plan for multiple fire stations and established two new stations.
- Established the Regional 911 & Emergency Dispatch currently serves 70 municipalities.
- Established and coordinated the regional Emergency Management process and agreement which serves 6 municipalities.
- Established the municipal management model for the RCMP and amalgamated the Enforcement Services within the process including building a new police building.
- Established a municipal Crime Prevention program including a strong community mobilization process.
- Coordinated and completed transfer of GPREMS from 22 municipalities to the province
- Qualified Expert witness Fire Investigation and Fire Emergency Management.
- Provided presentations and training to various groups and coordinated the establishment of Emergency Management training at Fire Etc.
- City of Grande Prairie Senior Management Team for 11 years and received the dedicated Senior Management Team award from the AUMA and Society of Local Government Managers.
- Served as the interim CAO for the Town of Beaverlodge.
- Established and lead the City of Grande Prairie Aboriginal Workplace Initiative with Aboriginal Leaders, major employers and other levels of government.
- Established and lead the succession plan process for the City Organization.
- Chaired the City Negotiating Committee for three successful contract negotiations with CUPE and served four times on the City’s Fire negotiation committee.
- Lead strategic and business planning for all City Departments and Aquatera.
- Provided management consulting to municipal and other clients.
- Established the new Community Safety area, which included Protective Services as well as Engineering, Transportation and Safety Code Services in one service area.
- Served two years as the Director of Community Safety.
- TSI projects – Peace River Fire Review, Westlock Regional Collaboration, Wheatland Regional Emergency Plan, Town of Beaverlodge CAO hiring process and Peace Regional Fire Collaboration among others.
- Past member of: Alberta Fire Chiefs, CAMA, Fire Etc. Board Member, Alberta Injury Control and Research Board Member, Grande Prairie & District Burn Society Founding Board Member, Founding Chair of the provincial Alberta 911 Association.
- Presented to diverse groups such as the World Burn Congress and the United Arab Emirates Conference on Environment & Disaster Planning as well as to a number of Alberta and local organizations.