Statement From Erica Thomas:
“I am so very sad to say that Chief Bill Walker passed away on Wednesday, April 14th, 2021. Bill was one of our most beloved consultants working with municipalities on governance, fire and emergency management. After a long standing career with the City of Grande Prairie, as their Fire Chief and Director of Protective Services, Bill retired and quickly realized he had so much more to give back to the industry and we were so very lucky to have him on the Transitional Solutions team. Bill’s career spanned 40 years in Emergency Management with many accomplishments. He was an amazing team player who always took on much of the load while also mentoring those newer to the field. Bill took his work very seriously, but never took himself too seriously. I witnessed many interactions that would get most people riled up and angry, and Bill remained cool as a cucumber. I always looked up to that trait.
But what I will always remember about Bill was his infectious laugh, his positive attitude and as giving the best hugs. Bill was always like an Uncle to me, full of valuable advice and always looking out for the best interests of our company. He left every conversation with a Toodaloo, which as I write I can hear his voice saying it.
Thank you for all you did for the Fire and EM industry and all you did for me and my company Bill. I pray you are at peace and our deepest condolences go out to your family.”
Years of Experience
If you wish to leave Bill a tribute, use the form below
Senior Executive Fellows Program – Directors Award
University of Alberta
Certified Local Government Management – CLGM
Certifications for NFPA 1001, 1002, 1003, 1021, 1031, 1041 and Hazmat Operations
Member of ICMA
Member of Society of Local Government Managers
PACE Board Member
Alberta Sexual Assault Services Board Member
Emergency Management Experience
- 40 years Emergency Management experience in the positions of Fire fighter, Lieutenant, Chief Fire Prevention Officer, Deputy Fire Chief, Fire Chief, Manager of Protective & Emergency Services, Protective Services Director & Community Safety Director.
- Created the plan for multiple fire stations and established two new stations.
- Established the Regional 911 & Emergency Dispatch currently serves 70 municipalities.
- Established and coordinated the regional Emergency Management process and agreement which serves 6 municipalities.
- Established the municipal management model for the RCMP and amalgamated the Enforcement Services within the process including building a new police building.
- Established a municipal Crime Prevention program including a strong community mobilization process.
- Coordinated and completed transfer of GPREMS from 22 municipalities to the province
- Qualified Expert witness Fire Investigation and Fire Emergency Management.
- Provided presentations and training to various groups and coordinated the establishment of Emergency Management training at Fire Etc.
- City of Grande Prairie Senior Management Team for 11 years and received the dedicated Senior Management Team award from the AUMA and Society of Local Government Managers.
- Served as the interim CAO for the Town of Beaverlodge.
- Established and lead the City of Grande Prairie Aboriginal Workplace Initiative with Aboriginal Leaders, major employers and other levels of government.
- Established and lead the succession plan process for the City Organization.
- Chaired the City Negotiating Committee for three successful contract negotiations with CUPE and served four times on the City’s Fire negotiation committee.
- Lead strategic and business planning for all City Departments and Aquatera.
- Provided management consulting to municipal and other clients.
- Established the new Community Safety area, which included Protective Services as well as Engineering, Transportation and Safety Code Services in one service area.
- Served two years as the Director of Community Safety.
- TSI projects – Peace River Fire Review, Westlock Regional Collaboration, Wheatland Regional Emergency Plan, Town of Beaverlodge CAO hiring process and Peace Regional Fire Collaboration among others.
- Past member of: Alberta Fire Chiefs, CAMA, Fire Etc. Board Member, Alberta Injury Control and Research Board Member, Grande Prairie & District Burn Society Founding Board Member, Founding Chair of the provincial Alberta 911 Association.
- Presented to diverse groups such as the World Burn Congress and the United Arab Emirates Conference on Environment & Disaster Planning as well as to a number of Alberta and local organizations.