Erica Thomas, MBA, Ec.D
Engagement & Sustainability Expert
A passionate professional who has a wealth of both public and private engagement, leadership and social sustainability planning experience. Coupled with an BComm in Communications and Marketing, an MBA in Global Energy Management and Sustainable Development and an Economic Developers Certificate, Erica’s ability to take a project through to an innovative and successful completion makes her a great asset to the TSI Team.
Years of Experience
University of Calgary – Masters of Business Administration, Global Energy Management and Sustainable Development
University of Alberta – Bachelor of Commerce, International Marketing & Communication
Economic Developers Certificate
Economic Development Management
Social Media Engagement
Public Engagement Experience
- Development and implementation of consultation and engagement plans with stakeholders surrounding three major oil and gas developments in Alberta. These stakeholders include First Nations, landowners, local, provincial and federal government officials and administration and non-governmental organizations.
- Development and maintenance of the comprehensive stakeholder matrix for each project.
- Engagement with the Aboriginal business community of the three main First Nations; Fort McKay First Nation, Mikisew Cree First Nation and Athasbasca Chipewyan First Nation. This includes negotiations of long term business agreements.
- Collaboration with Communications on the development and implementation of communications strategies including the incorporation of social media and partnership communications.
- Development of an analytic tool to measure and trend stakeholders’ attitudes and issues.
- Work collaboratively with Corporate Communications in the development of external communications including newsletters, brochures, social media and information packages for stakeholders.
Municipal Project and Work Experience
- Project lead on the Westlock Regional Collaboration Study, Barrhead Aquatic Centre Plebiscite Communications and Engagement, Strathmore FCSS Needs Assessment, GFL Stakeholder Engagement, Onoway and Eight Summer Village Policy and Bylaw Review.
- Development of Strathcona County’s Economic Development and Tourism annual marketing plan, including a detailed work plan with measurement tools for current marketing strategies.
- Provide assistance to companies and entrepreneurs through consultation and follow-up to address their issues and development needs, development of business plans, budgets and marketing strategies.
- Develop and maintain project budgets utilizing other sources of funding, inclusive of Tourism Destination Region funding, Community Futures Funding and proposals to the Rural Alberta Development Fund.