Shawna Bruce, CD, BA, M
Emergency Management & Engagement Professional
A personable communications professional with extensive experience in emergency management planning, crisis communications, leadership and community engagement. Shawna brings more than 25 years of military experience as a Public Affairs Officer in the Canadian Forces and eight years in the energy sector where she managed national communications and public outreach for a global company.
Emergency Management & Crisis Communications
- Developed community awareness programs to support emergency management
- Implementation of public notification system including policies and procedures for users and management of neighbour data gathering
- Coordination of Public Information Officer and media awareness training for Emergency Management Teams
- Development and delivery of PIO Awareness Course for mutual aid workshops
- Extensive experience managing highly complex crisis situations with regional, national and international media engagement
- Military spokesperson and lead for highly visible events including operations in Afghanistan, Forest Fires in BC, military accidents and fatalities
- Canadian lead for crisis communications including manufacturing and transportation issues for global company.
- Coordinated TRANSCAER training for Toronto Fire Service before Pan Am Games.
- Engagement experience with mutual aid organizations in Alberta and Ontario.
- Trained in ICS 100,200, 300 and Public Information Officer (AEMA)
- Champion of Responsible Care with the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada
- Developed and Instruct Disaster and Crisis Communications course for NAIT (Emergency Management Program)
Community Engagement & Outreach
- Lead for Community Advisory Panels in various locations
- Development of Dow Chemical Canada’s national stakeholder outreach and community investment plan
- External relations lead with major Canadian organizations such as Habitat for Humanity where Gift in Kind donations increased from 100K to 1M
- Development of regional community and education grant initiatives
- Project lead for national STEM partnerships
Public Affairs & Executive Communications
- Development of Corporate Executive Outreach Plans
- Development of strategic public and government affairs plans
- Create employee engagement plans to profile company in operating communities
- Develop media outreach plans for large and small events
- Lead major business events for high profile guests and executive VIPs
- Develop and coordinate special events for employees and their families
- Brand Marketing and interface during major mergers and acquisitions